THE SACRED AND PROFANE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE SACRED AND PROFANE

For Politics, Foreign Policy, The Arts, and The Outdoors... Welcome to the Forums!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male
Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade Empty
PostSubject: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 4:00 pm

I found the knife of my dreams on bladeforums, thanks to a watchful eye over on SY forums. The SY Dumpster Mutt in combat grade.

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade P1000710

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade P1000712

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade P1000716

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 04-04-07-3

This is the thickest knife Scrap Yard makes... For those that arent familiar with SYKCO, they make the toughest knives you can buy and are kin to Busse Combat, the true pioneer of hard use knives. SY uses SR77 steel and Busse Combat uses INFI. INFI is a better steel all around but in terms of toughness, laterally, there is no difference between the two. But a knife that is .285 inch thich, made from SR-77 is virtually bombproof! Not to mention it is only 5 inches long, making it the best military knife ever made. I thought my Scrapper 6 from SY was going to be the best but I think the DMCG will be better. Thicker, shorter, and faster. PLUS, as you can tell in one of the pictures above, the SY DMCG comes with a "penetrator tip" which is essentially like an ice pick on the end of your knife for busting through doors, kevlar helmets, skulls, etc. This knife > than all the rest. For a soldier, there is not better knife. Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 146744
Back to top Go down
http://www.aeonity.com/thekill
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Also, it should be noted that the pictures above are NOT of the actual knife I am getting. The one i snagged has been a safe queen and is one of six that the gentleman bought a year ago and has been in his safe. He needs money for school so Im helping him out and helping me out too... well, not my bank account but who cares... i have wanted this knife forever!!!!!!

here is the picture of the Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade as pictured on the Scrap Yard Website!

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade DumpsterMutt_med

The description as listed on the SYKCO site.

We are proud to introduce the "Dumpster Mutt". In the true spirit of
Scrap Yard knives we were able to save these old Busse Combat Basic
handles from the dumpster. They have been out of service since the late
'90's and were getting pretty used to just lying around and doing
nothing! We brushed them off, called them some derogatory names and
told them to get to back to work! We mated them with a bomb-proof,
door-breaching blade that our our troops have been dreaming of and put
a penetrator tip on this nearly 5/16" thick sabre ground hybrid Mutt.
This combat hungry little pit bull is specifically designed for heavy
military use and abuse, and will not be happy sitting at home in a
drawer.

Specs at a glance:

Steel: SR-77
Hardness: 58 - 60 Rc
Handle: Resiprene C
Thickness: Approx .285"
Blade Length: 5" with penetrator tip
Overall Length: 9 1/2"
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Back to top Go down
SoToo

Male
Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 4:23 pm

SoToo wrote:
http://www.knifetests.com/index.html

yup, Noss! affraid
Back to top Go down
SoToo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Whut the Fuck is a Noss? scratch
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 pm

The dude who OWNS knifetests.com study
Back to top Go down
SoToo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Seriously? I never knew that. I even joined their forum, but I've never posted anything. I just watch the destruction.
Back to top Go down
SoToo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 6:40 pm

So what did you think about the abuse the Scrap Yards stood up to?

Actually... I was intrigued at the amount of abuse some of the cheaper knives stood up to. A couple of low dollar knives put quite a few high dollar knives to shame in those tests. I want one of those Cold Steel, South African made, Kukris. I was afraid they'd be way to thin... but damn... that test says it all.
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Yea man, Scrap Yard Knives.... For the $, I am convinced they are the best in the world. Nowhere else can you buy a knife for the price of a SY blade, and get the performance to price ratio. The Scrapper 6 is the only other knife besides the Busse FFFBM to pass Noss's destruction test. I have 2 of the S6's. A tan and black one. It is my favorite knife.

However, I think that the Dumpster Mutt Combat Grade might be the soldier's knife against which all others are judged... Seriously. 5 in blade that is .285 thick of S7 shock steel... same steel used in jack hammer bits... but with a Busse heat-treat. After the heat treat from Jerry and Dan Busse, the S7 is called SR77 steel. In terms of toughness (lateral) no other steel can touch it except Busse's INFI. INFI is still better overall in that it is less proned to rust and has SLIGHTLY better edge retention. But i dont see INFI being DOUBLE THE PRICE better than SR77. Thats why I am such a die hard fan of SR77 and the SYKCO. IMO, no other company offers a knife like they do. And with this penetrator tip... my oh my... Its going to be on my LBV everyday in Afghanistan man.

With the DMCG being only 5 inches and thicker than the s6 or any other knife Scrap Yard has ever made, it is virtually, indestructible. By virtue of its short length, breaking it and torque application therein is damn near impossible to produce to the point of blade failure, i.e., breakage.
Back to top Go down
SoToo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 am

I will agree the Scrap Yard knives are great knives, but remember... a couple of very cheap knives actually came very close to passing every test. That $10 rough use knife only broke on the very last test... locked in the vise and broadsided. On the video, they were shocked at the amount of abuse the Rough Use knife and the Cold Steel Kukri displayed. If I were your age and the heavy knife actually saw more reasonable use, like going to the sandbox, then I might go for a Busse or Scrap Yard... but for the price... that Cold Steel Kukri will do anything I ever need it to, and if it doesn't... then I can always have a couple of extras aside and still be saving coin over the SY.

Look through all of those tests, and it will make you realize that sometimes you just don't always get what you pay for. At least you got some damn good blades for the money you laid down. They will serve you well overseas. There were many high dollar knives on there that just couldn't handle it. I was totally surprised at the findings.
Back to top Go down
Peter Lezard

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 10:56 am

Heh heh... "Sorry about your car dude..."
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Good points SoToo.... But personally, I dont find Scrap Yard knives expensive - AT ALL. In fact, today, I just got home from the post office and sent out a $200.00 money order USPS of course, to Nevada to a guy whos selling me one of the 6 DMCG's he bought a year ago. he has had a few sitting in the safe for a year and needs $. He posted the want ad at $160... I PMed him and offered him $200 to hold it and sell it to me. He agreed and locked the deal. Within the next 2 days, he will have my payment and have my DMCG headed this way. I dont mind paying for quality. Now, when you get into the Busse Combat category (in terms of $) I find it hard to drop $400 + on a knife... I mean All my scrap Yard knives, and i have 5 or 6, are just as good as the Busse's and are 3 times cheaper in terms of cost!
Back to top Go down
SoToo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:03 pm

If only I were young again...

You are right. Not that expensive to most... however, can I justify the expense of me owning it? Or will it sit on the shelf and collect dust? Maybe later... but right now it would just be used to split some firewood, which my axe is capable of handling. Times are still tight right now. My wife got laid off a few years back and it hit us hard. We lost our home, her vehicle, many of my firearms, knives, and other collectibles... our credit was shot.

We had just bought our home in the country the previous year.... now we live in an apartment in the city. She was a payroll manager for a prestigious car joint... long story shortened... now she's a payroll manager again, but it was a tough fucking road for sure. Not only did she suffer back problems in the midst, near to the point of surgery, but the depression she suffered was beyond belief.

Anyway... if I were 25 again, carefree, and headed for the sandbox... I'd damn sure go for it. Well... maybe not. I got married and started my family when I was a few years younger than you are, therefore, your's and my paths on the subject would never truly be able to cross. At any rate... like Peter... laying down money on expensive stuff would mean having to go without somewhere else. Also, like Peter, I have more people that rely on me around here than just myself, therefore, my decisions have to be carefully made.

For my needs right now, and who knows if firewood is actually justifiable or not, especially since I do have the axe, and hell, I don't even have a fucking yard anymore.... the Kukri is my best value... it suffered the torture tests with flying colors and I can put the rest of the coin in the bank during these tough and unstable times. The Busse may be able to cut the Kukri in half, but it's not likely I'll find a Busse hiding in my firewood. If I do, however.... I'll just sell it to you and pad my bank account a little more. Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 843501
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm

SoToo wrote:
If only I were young again...

You are right. Not that expensive to most... however, can I justify the expense of me owning it? Or will it sit on the shelf and collect dust? Maybe later... but right now it would just be used to split some firewood, which my axe is capable of handling. Times are still tight right now. My wife got laid off a few years back and it hit us hard. We lost our home, her vehicle, many of my firearms, knives, and other collectibles... our credit was shot.

We had just bought our home in the country the previous year.... now we live in an apartment in the city. She was a payroll manager for a prestigious car joint... long story shortened... now she's a payroll manager again, but it was a tough fucking road for sure. Not only did she suffer back problems in the midst, near to the point of surgery, but the depression she suffered was beyond belief.

Anyway... if I were 25 again, carefree, and headed for the sandbox... I'd damn sure go for it. Well... maybe not. I got married and started my family when I was a few years younger than you are, therefore, your's and my paths on the subject would never truly be able to cross. At any rate... like Peter... laying down money on expensive stuff would mean having to go without somewhere else. Also, like Peter, I have more people that rely on me around here than just myself, therefore, my decisions have to be carefully made.

For my needs right now, and who knows if firewood is actually justifiable or not, especially since I do have the axe, and hell, I don't even have a fucking yard anymore.... the Kukri is my best value... it suffered the torture tests with flying colors and I can put the rest of the coin in the bank during these tough and unstable times. The Busse may be able to cut the Kukri in half, but it's not likely I'll find a Busse hiding in my firewood. If I do, however.... I'll just sell it to you and pad my bank account a little more. Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 843501

Perfectly put good sir. I would buy it off of you Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 918854
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm

o yea, and peter, thats NOT my car!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Peter Lezard

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Many many moons ago, when I was a very angry man, I drove a $700 custom tanto through a car hood. I wanted to shove it up the driver's ass, but he locked the doors, so I went for the hood...

Loooong story short I went to high school with driver, who had raped a girl and got off on a justice system snafu. I was trying to ignore him while we were at the same gas station....He didn't like my tactics, and something about my sister... I saw red, and I'm pretty sure he pissed himself when I pulled that gnarly dude out...

The owner of the gas station never called the cops, and gave me a pack of smokes on the house... I was a lucky bastard...

Isn't small town justice fun???
Back to top Go down
SoToo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Ohhh.... so you've attacked a car too. Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 843501

I have a post on the JD somewhere about my episode with a mobile human aquarium. I sunk a few holes in the trunk of that bastard and nearly cut the passengers throat while the driver was peeling out. I was very lucky that night too. I did kill a man that night, but it wasn't one of the assholes. It was a damn good thing I knew CPR too... because I was able to revive the dead dude.

If I can find my post on the JD... I'll repost it here.
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Peter has rage!!! Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 198145
Back to top Go down
Peter Lezard

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Yeah, it is a wonder I didn't end up in jail, or in a rubber room...or both... Nobody liked me then, as I didn't think much of myself then. I'm much better now....really... lol!

I do miss the knife...
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Peter Lezard wrote:
Yeah, it is a wonder I didn't end up in jail, or in a rubber room...or both... Nobody liked me then, as I didn't think much of myself then. I'm much better now....really... lol!

I do miss the knife...

Well wait till i get my new DMCG! I cannot wait. Im going to take it everywhere. But I kinda need to get on Rainwalker and get him to make me a sheath for it... Gotta mail him a money order for $95 so he can start making them for me!
Back to top Go down
El Gringo

Male
Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Whats that handle , is it a plastic? Looks slippery.
I like the knife.
Back to top Go down
thekill
Admin
thekill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 7:54 pm

El Gringo wrote:
Whats that handle , is it a plastic? Looks slippery.
I like the knife.

Its called Respirene C handles. Its what scrap yard has built their company on in terms of handles... The ones you see on the DMCG are from the old Busse line. You cant go wrong with these grips IMO. They are impervious to weather and the cold as well as the heat. Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade 146744
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade   Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade Empty

Back to top Go down

Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt Combat-Grade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE SACRED AND PROFANE :: THE SACRED :: Fieldcraft-
Jump to: